Sustainable Energy Master Plan
A major university approached us to help them develop a plan to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 30% over a ten year period. Working with facilities, financial services, students and faculty, we started a sustainability committee. The committee worked with Luthin Associates to develop a plan that would enable the customer to meet its goals and increase the sustainability of its campuses which comprised more than 40 buildings and over 3 million square feet.
The master plan was developed over several years and with several discrete steps. Our assistance included:
- Managing an RFP to procure auditing and retro commissioning services from an energy engineering firm. The study also included evaluations of Demand Response.
- Preparing a study to evaluate the environmental and financial impact of converting heavy oil boilers to dual fuel interruptible natural gas.
- Evaluating the potential to achieve LEED certification for three new buildings and a retrofit.
- Evaluating the impact of a CHP plant that would be sized at the campus thermal load.
- Managing implementation of a solar PV installation.
- Identifying the potential for further solar and energy storage projects.
- Assisting in procuring significant energy conservation incentives and public grants.
- Managing an RFP to procure demand response services.
- Assisting the university in obtaining positive publicity.
While the Master Plan is still in progress, the customer expects to reach its goal at the conclusion of the ten year period. After five years they had achieved about 70% of goal.