Awards & Certifications
Founded in 1994, Luthin Associates has been a well-established business within the energy management services industry for more than 20 years. Among the staff, we have more than 150 years' collective experience. Aside from our many years of experience which helped us become experts within the industry, we have also received awards and certifications making us more qualified to provide professional energy management services to ourclients.
Luthin Associates' President and Founder, Catherine Luthin, has been honored to receive the following awards for her success in the industry and/or as a female business owner:
- Women in Sustainability Leadership Awards (2017)
- New Jersey SmartCEO's Brava Award: Honoring top female CEOs (2017)
- Top 25 Leading Woman Entrepreneur of New Jersey Award (2015)
- Top Woman in Commercial Real Estate Award (2014)
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) International Energy Service Professional of the Year Award (2004)
- AEE New York Energy Service Professional of the Year Award (2002)
As a firm, Luthin Associates has received the following awards from Anchin, Block and Anchin, a leading accounting and professional financial services firm. These awards were presented at Anchin's Building the Future: honoring industry innovators, leaders and rising stars. These events were also celebrating Women & Minority Business Enterprises (MWBEs) and their advocates.
- Outstanding Advocacy Award (2013)
- Outstanding WMBE Award (2012)
Catherine has also participated in the following committees to share her energy expertise:
- NYC 80x50 Energy Supply Committee, which intends to reduce New York City's greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent by 2050 (2016-2017)
- Mayor Bloomberg's New York City Energy Task Force, comprised of 16 leading energy experts in the private, public and nonprofit sectors (2004-2014)
- Advisory committee member of NYSERDA's Combined Heat and Power (CHP) project team studying CHP opportunities in New York State hospitals (2010)
- Assisted Con Edison's Hybrid Cooling Program Advisory Group (2006-2007)
- Co-chair of the Steam Economic Development Task Force for Con Edison (2005)
Luthin Associates as a firm has received the following awards and certifications which further displays our qualifications as a business and within the energy field:
- Diversity Business Awards:
- Top 100 Women Owned Businesses in New Jersey (2011, 2012 & 2016)
- Top 100 Privately-held Businesses in New Jersey (2011, 2012 & 2016)
- Top 50 Women Owned Businesses in New Jersey (2016)
- Top 500 Women Owned Businesses in the United States (2016)
- Top Emerging Businesses in the United States (2014)
- Top Small Businesses in the United States by Diversity Business (2006-2013)
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) Certifications:
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
- Certified Energy Auditor (CEA)
- Certified Energy Procurement Professional (CEP)
- Certified Sustainable Development Professional (CSDP)
Aside from our own achievements within the energy industry, we have received recognition for assisting clients and industry partners in achieving their energy goals, including:
- Recognition for our success with the NYSERDA Technical Assistance Study for Columbia University to improve the University's energy management plan and fuel management strategies. The dual fuel strategy is estimated to save Columbia University approximately $1.9 million in annual energy costs.
- Acknowledgement for our success in spearheading the Technical Assistance studies for all three NY Presbyterian campuses and identifying appropriate energy conservation measures providing more than $1.8 million in NY Energy Smart Program incentives.
- On February 20, 2013 the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) awarded New York-Presbyterian Hospital (NYPH) / Weill Cornell Medical Center along with four other organizations with the 2013 Energy Star Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Award for their efforts to reduce emissions that threaten public health while increasing energy reliability and efficiency. Luthin Associates was extensively involved in the preparation of the cogeneration feasibility study for this system.
- We are among the 25 NYC Clean Heat Task Force members to encourage and assist buildings in converting to the cleanest available fuels and alternative energy options https://www.nyccleanheat.org/content/partners-and-sponsors. Between 2012 and 2015, NYC Clean Heat resulted in nearly 6,000 heating oil conversions from No. 6 or No.4 oil to a cleaner fuel. As a result, PM 2.5 emissions from buildings formerly burning these heavy heating oils have been reduced by 65% since 2011. NYC Clean Heat has since transitioned into the NYC Retrofit Accelerator, New York City's new resource for energy and water efficiency. https://www.nyccleanheat.org/
- Acknowledged as a Demand Response Research Center (DRRC) contractor for our contribution to DRRC activities. The Demand Response Research Center, published in September 2016, is the final report for a series of research projects conducted between 2003 and 2015 by researchers at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in collaboration with many other individuals and organizations. Information from this project contributes to Energy Research and Development Division's Buildings End-Use Energy Efficiency, Energy Systems Integration, and Industrial/Agriculture/Water End-Use Energy Efficiency Programs. http://www.energy.ca.gov/2016publications/CEC-500-2016-061/CEC-500-2016-061.pdf